AA Forestry offers the following services:
When I meet with you on site, and before we walk in your woods, I will teach you the basics of forestry. I will also teach you how timber is priced. We will then walk your woodlot and I will make management suggestions. If it is not in your best interest to have a timber sale at that time, I will explain why. If you do proceed with a sale, you will move forward with confidence. When you hire me to represent you in a timber sale, this is the process:
- I will mark the property boundaries with paint. If there are any questions regarding the property line, I will advise you to approach the neighbor for clarification, or have a survey performed. Assistance in securing a survey can be provided if necessary.
- I will personally mark and tally the timber. An estimated value of the marked timber will then be provided to the landowner.
- I will merchandise the timber through the sealed bid process. Request for bids will be sent to 50+ buyers. The bid opening is open to the buyers and the landowner.
- I will secure a contract and payment. Payment is in full at contract signing. Contract length is normally 1 year from contract signing. Insurance certificates from the buyer are secured before any activity on the property occurs. A performance deposit against contract compliance is secured.
- I am present on the first day of the harvest to ensure operators understand and comply with all specifications of the contract.
- I will oversee the harvest process with random visits to the site making sure everything proceeds as per the contract.
- I personally oversee the road recovery after the sale. There will be no rutted roads left. Water bars are installed as necessary to stop road soil erosion. Performance deposit is not released until all specifications of the contract are complete.
By using AA Forestry and Wildlife Service for your timber sale, you can move ahead confidently knowing that you will receive the highest price for your timber and that all of your management goals will be met.
Timber sales are performed on a percentage of the value of the sale.
Landowners, attorneys, realtors, and estate managers all want to know what the timber is worth. Recently with the boom of gas drilling, displaced timber value evaluation is necessary. To do this the timber must be scaled. This is the only way to determine the true market value. A written summary of species, volume and estimated value is produced.
Total cost will be determined by accuracy requested, terrain and travel distance.
Appraisals are done on an hourly rate.
Timber Trespass Appraisal
"Somebody stole my timber! I need an estimated value to recover during a legal court process."
Timber Trespass Appraisal requires a complete stump tally.
Each tree stump is located, measured, numbered and the volume by species is tallied.
A written report along with a digital picture tally is then provided to the landowner.
Courtroom testifying can sometimes be necessary.
Timber Trespass Appraisals are done on an hourly rate.
Whether it's a timber theft, a contract misrepresentation or a gas line timber clearing dispute, your attorney may suggest an "Expert Witness". A Consulting Forester is the "go to" guy for this. Having someone who not only understands but can clearly explain confusing subjects to the Judge or Magistrate can be invaluable in winning your case.
Expert Witness services are performed at an hourly rate.
Quality Deer Management
"I want more and better deer ! "
I can help you with that. This is what I do best. I love taking a property and setting it up for deer. As a QDMA Certified Forester, I understand the relationship between deer and their habitat.
I know their biology, needs, and nutritional cycles. Most importantly I will teach you the principles of Quality Deer Management. I will explain the edge effect. I will teach you about carrying capacity and why deer would actually want to be on your property. You will learn about the food cycle. You will learn what is necessary to HOLD deer on your property.
Each property is different. How does it fit into the landscape? Are food plots really necessary? Where do I place them if I do use them? Is there something I can do in a prescribed harvest to encourage holding deer on the property?
One of my favorite clients is an avid archery hunter. While having several hundred acres of family property to hunt, he was having little success in shooting quality deer on the farm. In reality, he was not holding quality deer on his property. After a prescribed harvest implementing several strategically placed mini clearcuts, and developing travel corridors, he has since shot two 140+ inch bucks. But to top it off, imagine the excitment when he called me after he shot the first bear in Erie county in 30 years. I like to say "Build it and they will come". When worked into a Timber Sale there is no charge for this service.
Direct consulting without a Timber Sale is done on a half-day or whole-day rate. Travel rates sometimes apply.
I will travel anywhere to help set up a property for Quality Deer Management.
"If you don't call me, I can't help you".
Forestry is a process, not an event. for most landowners, their only brush with forestry is in a timber harvest. And it is the one thing that will have the greatest impact on the health and productivity of their woods. However there are many things that landowners can also accomplish outside a prescribed harvest that can have a major impact . This is where a management plan comes into play.
Working on a written plan that a landowner can apply over the years such as grape vine cutting, food plot development or cutting for timber stand improvement, gives the landowner his own "hands on" forestry experience. There can be great satisfaction after a day of running your chain saw while improving the health of your woods. The Management Plan will give you the step by step prescription for this process.
Management Plans are written on an hourly basis.
Timber Stand Improvement
Timber Stand Improvement usually describes the process of removing non-desirable species and poor form tmber outside a prescribed harvest. Many landowners want to spend some quality time in their woods, running their saws. But they do not really know what to cut. I can mark more junk in one day than you can cut in a week.
Timber Stand Improvement marking is done on an hourly rate.